A few years ago, we began to focus more on offering a selection of well-related, young mares in foal to commercial stallions at the broodmare sales annually. From drafts of around 50 mares per year across two broodmare sales, we have begun to see some fantastic results both in the yearling sale ring and on the racetrack from these broodmare sale graduates.
In the sales ring, some of the excellent results for broodmare purchases in recent years have included:
- EXCLUSIVE LASS (Nicconi) was sold for $460,000 carrying her first foal by Vancouver in 2018. The resulting colt from that mating was sold for $600,000 as a yearling and her next foal was sold for $750,000 as a yearling.
- IT'S OUR SHOWTIME (Showcasing) was sold for $150,000 carrying her first foal by So You Think in 2019. The resulting filly sold for $220,000 as a yearling and her second foal was sold for $$675,000.
- SANTA CLARA (Foxwedge) was sold for $190,000 carrying her second foal by Justify in 2020. The resulting colt sold for $520,000 at the Karaka Ready To Run Sale.
- TARRAGON (Reliable Man) was sold for $58,000 carrying her first foal by Invader in 2019. The resulting colt sold for $500,000 as a yearling and her second yearling offered at auction sold for $230,000.
- ELUSIVE VALLEY (Equiano) was sold for $42,500 in 2021, carrying her first foal by All Too Hard. The resulting colt was initially sold for $140,000 at the Inglis Australian Weanling Sale, before selling again at the Karaka Ready to Run Sale for $280,000.
It's not just the sale ring that we are seeing the great results in, our broodmare graduates are also producing top horses on the racetrack, including:
- KEYSBROOK (So Secret) was sold for $140,000 in 2017. She has produced the talented filly SHE'S EXTREME (Extreme Choice), a Group 1 winner of the Champagne Stakes as a two-year-old and the VRC Oaks as a three-year-old.
- ZENAIDA (Zabeel) was sold for $240,000 in 2021 carrying her fourth foal. At the time, she had one foal to race - the Gr3 winner Macroura (Snitzel). Her third foal by Invader has since raced as Sunshine In Paris, winner of the Gr1 Surround Stakes. Zenaida was re-sold at the 2023 Magic Millions Broodmare Sale for $1.4m, while Sunshine In Paris sold for $3.9m and Macroura sold for $1.5m.
- FORTUNE'S CHOICE (Redoute's Choice) was sold for $120,000 in 2016. She is now the dam of BONHAM (Per Incanto), winner of the Group 1 Levin Classic before her sale as a racing/breeding prospect for $1.6million.
- MICA'S PRIDE (Bite The Bullet) was offered for sale in 2008 and passed in with a reserve of $150,000. She went on to cement her status as a blue hen broodmare, producing four stakes winners including four-time Gr1 winner CRITERION and fellow Gr1 winner COMIN' THROUGH.
- GODIVA ROCK (Stratum) was sold as a breeding proposition at Magic Millions in 2015 for $150,000. Her second foal, Flag of Honour (American Pharoah) won three from six in Australia, before being exported to North America and winning the Gr2 Kennedy Road Stakes at Woodbine.
We aim to offer young mares from progressive families and get great satisfaction in seeing pedigrees upgraded for new owners of these mares. Examples of mares that have received valuable pedigree upgrades after being sold by Willow Park include:
- SEEWHATSHEBRINGS (Sebring) was sold for $450,000 in 2021. At the time of her sale, Seewhatshebrings was a half-sister to two stakes placegetters. In the two years since she was sold, her half-siblings MALKOVICH, OLENTIA and WANDABAA have all won stakes races. Seewhatshebrings was sold on for $800,000 in 2022.
- IT'S OUR SHOWTIME (Showcasing) was sold in 2019 for $150,000. At the time of her sale, her half sister INSPIRATIONAL GIRL (Reliable Man) was a winner of her only start. She is now a winner of 10, including the Gr1 Railway Stakes. Another half sister, Brookspire (Hinchinbrook) has won five races including the $1m Magic Millions F&M in 2023 and is Gr3 placed.
- TEMOLIE (Star Witness) was sold for $130,000 in 2019, as a half sister to then-triple Gr2 winner INVINCIBELLA (I Am Invincible). Since the sale, not only did Invincibella add a Gr1 win to her resume, but another two half siblings, SECRET BLAZE (Sizzling) and EXTREME FLIGHT (Extreme Choice), have both won at stakes level.
- DRAGON ROBE (Alamosa) was sold for $75,000 in 2019, as a half sister to Gr1 winner HASAHALO (Savabeel). Since the sale, their dam Halloween (Encosta de Lago) has produced a further three Group winners in HASABRO (Savabeel), ALL SAINTS' EVE (Sacred Falls) and ALL HALLOWS' EVE (Sacred Falls).