A few years ago, we began to focus more on offering a selection of well-related, young mares in foal to commercial stallions at the broodmare sales annually. From drafts of around 50 mares per year across two broodmare sales, we have begun to see some fantastic results both in the yearling sale ring and on the racetrack from these broodmare sale graduates.
In the sales ring, some of the excellent results for broodmare purchases in recent years have included:
- CLOAK OF NIGHT (Lonhro) was sold for $85,000 carrying her first foal by Hinchinbrook in 2016. The subsequent colt was sold as a yearling for $480,000.
- CATALONIA (Flying Spur) was sold for $325,000 carrying her first foal by More Than Ready in 2015. The subsequent filly was sold as a yearling for $625,000 and two of her yearlings since have sold for $750,000 and $620,000.
- EXCLUSIVE LASS (Nicconi) was sold for $460,000 carrying her first foal by Vancouver in 2018. The resulting colt from that mating was sold for $600,000 as a yearling and her next foal was sold for $750,000 as a yearling.
- IT'S OUR SHOWTIME (Showcasing) was sold for $150,000 carrying her first foal by So You Think in 2019. The resulting filly sold for $220,000 as a yearling and her second foal was sold for $$675,000.
- SANTA CLARA (Foxwedge) was sold for $190,000 carrying her second foal by Justify in 2020. The resulting colt sold for $520,000 at the Karaka Ready To Run Sale.
- TARRAGON (Reliable Man) was sold for $58,000 carrying her first foal by Invader in 2019. The resulting colt sold for $500,000 as a yearling and her second yearling offered at auction sold for $230,000.
It's not just the sale ring that we are seeing the great results in, our broodmare graduates are also producing top horses on the racetrack, including:
- KEYSBROOK (So Secret) was sold for $140,000 in 2017. She has produced the talented filly SHE'S EXTREME (Extreme Choice), a Group 1 winner of the Champagne Stakes as a two-year-old and the VRC Oaks as a three-year-old.
- FORTUNE'S CHOICE (Redoute's Choice) was sold for $120,000 in 2016. She is now the dam of BONHAM (Per Incanto), winner of the Group 1 Levin Classic before her sale as a racing/breeding prospect for $1.6million.
- MICA'S PRIDE (Bite The Bullet) was offered for sale in 2008 and passed in with a reserve of $150,000. She went on to cement her status as a blue hen broodmare, producing four stakes winners including four-time Gr1 winner CRITERION and fellow Gr1 winner COMIN' THROUGH.
- ACTION ANNIE (Anabaa) was sold for $60,000 in 2007 carrying her third foal by Mossman. The resulting foal became the sprint sensation and winner of six Gr1 races BUFFERING.
- REMLAP'S JEWEL (Choisir) was sold for $80,000 in 2017 carrying her first foal by So You Think. The resulting filly became the Gr2 winner SO YOU ASSUME.
We aim to offer young mares from progressive families and get great satisfaction in seeing pedigrees upgraded for new owners of these mares. Examples of mares that have received valuable pedigree upgrades after being sold by Willow Park include:
- SANTA CLARA (Foxwedge) was sold for $190,000 in May 2020. Following the sale, her half sister Anabandana (Anabaa) has produced two stakes winners and another half sister, Gybe (Fastnet Rock), has produced a Listed winning two-year-old in CROSSWINDS (Written Tycoon), who also topped the Melbourne Premier Sale at $1,100,000.
- IT'S OUR SHOWTIME (Showcasing) was sold in 2019 for $150,000. At the time of her sale, her half sister INSPIRATIONAL GIRL (Reliable Man) was a winner of her only start. She is now a winner of 10, including the Gr1 Railway Stakes. Another half sister, Brookspire (Hinchinbrook) has won five races including the $1m Magic Millions F&M in 2023 and is Gr3 placed.
- TEMOLIE (Star Witness) was sold for $130,000 in 2019, as a half sister to then-triple Gr2 winner INVINCIBELLA (I Am Invincible). Since the sale, not only did Invincibella add a Gr1 win to her resume, but another two half siblings, SECRET BLAZE (Sizzling) and EXTREME FLIGHT (Extreme Choice), have both won at stakes level.
- DRAGON ROBE (Alamosa) was sold for $75,000 in 2019, as a half sister to Gr1 winner HASAHALO (Savabeel). Since the sale, their dam Halloween (Encosta de Lago) has produced a further three Group winners in HASABRO (Savabeel), ALL SAINTS' EVE (Sacred Falls) and ALL HALLOWS' EVE (Sacred Falls).